How to motivate your family to become active!
- Help them to explore their own good reasons for behaviour change in the interest for their health.
- Behaviour change is not usually one event but rather a process of stages.
- Make the conversation about becoming active a positive experience.
- It’s important that they are involved in the decision process. Getting active is something they value as important. What activities do they enjoy? http://www.activecanterbury.org.nz/
- You can help strengthen their personal motivation by helping them to direct towards a specific goal
- It’s normal to have false starts (barriers that come up) but problem solving and getting back on track that is what is important. Even Olympic athletes come across barriers along the way.
- Once they start being active they will feel the benefits especially when their bodies release the happy hormone serotonin.